20 Dec A Superfood List to Give Your Body Nourishing Superpowers
As busy as we are today, there’s not a lot of time to plan meals that contain all the healthy things our bodies need. Superfoods come to the rescue (literally) by packing in high levels of vitamins, minerals, and disease-fighting antioxidants. To put your health in tip-top shape with just a few snacks a day, try some things on this superfood list.
Get Extra Superpowers With This Superfood List
This blue-green algae is a freshwater plant renowned for its intense flavor and powerful nutrition profile. You can get it in green superfood smoothies and energy bars as well as natural supplements. Just one ounce of spirulina has 40 grams of protein, a high dose of heart-healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and just about every vitamin under the sun.
Superpowers of spirulina include:
- Promotes growth of healthy bacterial flora in the intestines, which inhibits Candida from thriving and helps cure leaky gut.
- Helps prevent cancer
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces cholesterol
- Lowers risk of stroke
- Boosts energy
- Speeds up weight loss by curbing appetite
- Reduces inflammation to alleviate sinus problems
This freshwater seaweed (green algae) is one of the best superfoods out there. It’s high in protein, iron, vitamins B and C, and other antioxidants, and just one serving can give you the same amount of nutrition as 6-9 fresh vegetables. Try it in a superfood smoothie with a banana and almond milk for a nutritious, delicious treat.
Superpowers of chlorella include:
- Fights bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
- Increases the healthy bacteria in intestines to prevent stomach upset
- Help people with certain tumors better tolerate chemotherapy and radiation.
- Raises white blood cell count in people with HIV or cancer, which helps fight infections.
- Protects against cell damage from radiation and toxic metals, such as lead.
This is a young grass of the common wheat plant, Triticum Aestivum. It is loaded with liver enzymes, iron, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, but it makes our superfood list for its high amount of chlorophyll which is known to reverse aging, suppress hunger, and even suppress cancer. Wheatgrass is also on the list of foods that help you sleep, so consider taking it if you deal with insomnia.
Try some wheatgrass juice and enjoy its benefits:
- Increases energy
- Improves thyroid function and reduces hunger to aid in weight loss
- Increases red blood cells to boost immunity
- Improves digestion
- Fights inflammation to improve arthritis
- Improves mood and helps fight depression
This green leafy vegetable is more closely related to the turnip than broccoli. As one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, adding it to your diet can make a huge impact on your overall health. It’s packed with potassium, iron, calcium, dietary fiber and vitamins A, C, and K.
Broccoli rabe also contains an antioxidant called lutein that protects the retinas of your eyes from damage caused by free radicals. Its benefits include:
- Slows aging
- Strengthens bones
- Lessens inflammation
- Cancer protection
- Alzheimer’s protection
- Protects against birth defects
If you’re looking for foods that help you sleep, throw some Greek yogurt in your grocery cart. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, calcium and vitamin B12, all of which are essential to restful sleep. You can also find it fortified with vitamin D, potassium, and other nutrients. Combine it with other sleep superfoods such as nuts, seeds, and fruits to help you drift into dreamland.
Other Greek yogurt benefits include:
- Protein to repair muscles and improve skin and hair
- Probiotics to boost immune system and decrease stomach issues
- Calcium to battle Osteoporosis
- Vitamin B-12 for brain function
- Potassium to lower blood pressure
A Healthy Life Requires Better Nutrition, More Exercise, and Better Sleep
Adding these superfoods into your diet can improve your health, but you also need to get moving more to make your body stronger and sleep well enough to allow your mind and body to recharge. If you’re not sleeping 6-8 hours at night because you can’t get comfortable in your bed, head to Mark’s Mattress, your home for warehouse and factory clearance name brands and exceptional customer service!